Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Woden's day the 30th.

So I get on this keyboard and I start typing, a few minutes later I look back and read what I have written. I see my spelling errors, my choppy fragmented sentences and my repetitive diary like speak. This you are reading is my third try at today's entry hopefully this one works. I feel compelled to say something but I don't really know what it is. I tried to go home today after class but I couldn't so I went to the book store. There I ran into Luke and his brother and we discussed books, and I purchased my very own copy of 1984 (underline eludes me today even though I had it yesterday). Instead of going home to read or continue my typical after class rituals I found myself meandering around campus deep in thought, I even tried to walk home. A not so long story short I ended up in the library on this blog, this celebrated tool of the modern age and began typing. Well since this blog is for our Engl 123 I will share some reflections on our class so far as its conclusion draws nigh. I enrolled in this class to help warm up for the fall semester, but it has primed me far more than I thought. I love English, I love books, and even for the first time in my life academics. This class, and more specifically Dr. Sexson has helped me connect those things and make them work for me. We discussed how subjects like English or philosophy will bake no bread, but I have realized that without English I would probably be in a straight jacket being spoon fed pudding by the nice man in white, that's to say it helps keep the reigns on the wild horses in my mind. I prefer the taste of pudding to bread but again I am not speaking in a literal sense, besides bread is very necessary because if you wanted to make a roast beef sandwich you could not do that with pudding. Anyways this class has opened my eyes and is helping to abate the fears that we discovered are present in my subconscious when I dreamt of third grade. So with that said I plan to see this thing out even if it takes me another four years. So in advance I thank you Dr. Sexson for re-awakening my inner English aficionado.

On to other things I realized today after seeing Jack and Gwen and "flirt" that Oedipus and Ernie share the incest theme. I don't know if maybe we already talked about this but I am just going to type on. Jack is really Algy's brother, and Gwen is Algernons cousin, ipso facto her and Jack are related and he totally wanted to marry his cousin, and even almost kissed her in the movie. While his transgression was not near as drastic or as "gnarly" for lack of a better word it still was a bit incestous. Although I am told in some parts of the rural southern states this is not that big a deal.

http://blue.utb.edu/mimosa/Handouts/T&C.htm -Rather than reword my notes on here I will just suggest you click that link it sums up what we learned the difference between comedy and tragedy are, with some additions.

I will say though the theme of the comedy containing a love story or ending in marriage is rampant. I started listing comedies with love or marriage themes in my head and found it was almost all, if not all of them. Wedding crashers, Dodge Ball, Hotrod, Freddy got fingered, Old School, Animal house, Wayne's World, Anchorman, Saving Silerman, etc etc. Since I am on the subject of movies, has anyone seen the Talented Mr. Ripley with Matt Damon? That movie is creepy.

"When we are born we cry that we have come to this great stage of fools."-Shakespeare.

We remember everything. The shudder at birth is relived when we get frightened and things. Life I guess is kind of traumatic. We are created (sometimes selfishly) by our parents, forced from the womb kicking and screaming only to be slapped on the ass and learn that we have to become slaves of a society we knew nothing about oh yeah and then you die. Life, when you look at it that way is really a strange dynamic, and really does prove that all we have is the weather because the rest is just odd and fleeting and finite. Listen to your subconscious, because down there you remember everything even third grade and the paradise lost of the womb.

Trauma-An emotional wound or shock that creates substantial, lasting damage to the psychological development of a person, often leading to neurosis.

Recognition-An awareness that something perceived has been perceived before.

Anagnorisis-The greek word for recognition, also the unfolding or denouement

denouement-The events following the climax of a drama or novel in which such a resolution or clarification takes place.

All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened. -Ernest Hemingway.

No comments: