Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ok and finally my outline of sorts for Mr Pip.

I apologize for not submitting my Pip idea yesterday but I hand wrote it and I would rather you have something semi legible. I will say though after hearing everyones wonderful ideas I am constantly unsure of which route to pursue.

The Great Expectations of Matilda-Open obviously introducing our characters of Pip and Matilda and put in perspective through a brief summary who they are, and how they are connected.

Page 24 Discuss the passage that refers to Matilda and other children being able to escape their unkind reality when ever they wanted, taking refuge in Pip's world. This obviously shows the profound impact Great Expectations had on her. This is pertinent to the story, and to the class because I would like to show the importance of fiction, to Matilda and in turn to ourselves. Als Ob.

page 216-Discuss Jaggers the log, discuss the implications of her saying he was her savior. Was literature Matildas salvation? Again this serves to illustrate the theme of the of the importance of fiction in Matilda's life, this time offering her comfort in almost a religious sense as instead of just the escape of a good story as the first passage indicates, and shows her intense connection to Pip.

page 191-Discuss passage comparing Mr. Watts belief in Pip and Matilda's mother's in Satan. This again shows the theme in a general sense of how important literature is. In more specific terms it shows that all stories contain truth pertinent to us. What works for some does not work for others. It also serves to show the difference between Matilda's Mom and Mr. Watts.

222-this passage is about Matilda leaving on her plane and coming to her expectations. It obviously is does not refer to the theme of the importance of the literature the way the others do, but I feel that it serves to bring a sort of closure, and also shows an important connection to Pip.

As I said up above I would like to essentially focus on how and why literature was important in Matilda's life, how specifically it was in her relation to a specific book, and also how this illustrates the importance of story to each and all. I am continually looking for more qoutes and examples this obviously is sort of a generalized outline.

No comments: