Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Monday the fourth

As some of you may have noticed I was not present in class on monday, or yesterday which ever way you prefer to think of it. I had full intentions of coming to class but when 6:00 am rolled around something strange happened. I awoke with a deep churning in my stomache, still in the haze of sleep I stumbled to the bathroom, and violently ejected the contents of my stomache via my nose and mouth. I would later repeat this enough times to reduce me to a trembling heap on the floor. I felt like I was going to die, and at times wish I would have. I attribute this sudden onset illness to food posioning, thats right food posioning. I am sure you are saying yourself, "why thats the second case of it in our short time in this class". Well I completely agree, it leads me to one of two conclusions either it was a coincidence or the restaraunteurs of Bozman Montana need to change the way they prepare and handle food. It felt like half hangover half flu, but was all bad. Even today, though my stomach has stabilized I am sweating cold sweats and have an awesome headache. Anyways I am sorry to have have missed class on monday, but I will be ready to present my essay tomorrow, assuming I don't eat anything questionable by then.

Since I cannot talk about the material covered in class I will chronicle for you the events leading up to monday morning.

It was a sunday like any other, so it seemed. It was evening time and was begining to become quite hungry, so I called my friend Hannah (the defiller of my Stevens book) and suggested we get chinese food. After much deliberation we decided to go to Mongolian bbq, a place that until yesterday was considered by myself to be delicious. When we got there I decided to attempt a feat I had only dreamed about, a large bowl all meat and no noodles. Throwing caution into the wind I filled my bowl with squid, pork, chicken, and beef. In order to not appear too disgusting in the presence of my female friend I decided to throw in some vegetables. By vegetables I mean mostly jalapeno peppers and lots of 'em. The food was cooked and brought it to the table and I began to eat it. It was so delicious all that meat and peppers, it would have made Dr. Atkin's cry out of sheer joy. We left the restaraunt and life was good...... until the next morning. While I don't know which specific ingredient caused this ailment I have few theories. First the squid, it did not occur to me until now that Montana is not very close to the ocean, allowing one to deduce that the squid was not fresh. Theory two- perhaps what I suffered from was simply an accute overdose of meat and that the noodles serve to dilute this deadly ingredient making it safer to consume. My third and final theory is this, I smushed the meat into my bowl using my bare hands, I then ate vegetables out of my bowl with those same hands prior to them being cooked. Though I have flirted with raw meat before it is safe to say that since this tragedy has befallen me I am inspired to cook all meat before I consume it.


No comments: